Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?

Go down 
+2
Bristlenoses
RMlover
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

Female Number of posts : 24
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? Empty
PostSubject: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 am

hi, i got my common bristlenose about 4 or 5 months ago and according to what i see now, it's a female, she's 5.5 - 6 cms now. about 4 days ago she stopped being herself, she doesn't really eat and just sits close to her cave or in it with her head showing. her belly is neither caved in in or bloated, i don't see any stress spots on her either or anything abnormal, she gets along fine with the swordtails and neon tetras that i have in there with her.

she lives in a 35L aquarium with a couple of other fishes but she is the only bristlenose i have. i do water changes every 2 or 3 days. i feed her zucchini, cucumber, algae wafers, peas, watermelon and an occasional sweet potato.
i don't really have any water tests done but i know the ph is around a 6 - 7 and the tank has been running for 1 yr now.
i would be grateful if someone if could help me out. Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? 3235774899
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 10:28 am

Hi,a 35 litre aquarium is extremely small for any fish.What are the dimensions of the tank?Have you got any wood in there for her?Have you got any current and water surface agitation? What filtration have you got? and water test results are necessary also.You can go and get a sample tested at the local fish store or buy a kit yourself.If you have gravel do you vac it regularly?Have you got any photo's of the fish?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:54 am

yeah i know its a little small but im just trying to grow her for a little bit since i was going to put her out into my pond for the summer as its been sitting in the sun collecting algae, i do have a piece of wood for her that shes been munching on regularly. i will try and get the water tests a.s.a.p from my local fish store. i do a gravel vac at least 2 times a week.

and here's a pic of her that i took today
Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? IMGP3443_zpsdf9dc116

this ones a little blurry though...
Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? IMGP3438_zpsd4bc066e
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 am

Hi,from what i can see in the pictures she looks o.k.Get the water tested and post the resuts.Make sure you get the readings and write them down.

Do you have a filter?
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am

ok i guess its a good thing that she looks fine, i will try and get the water tests this week... since i have busy parents its hard to get some time to go down to the pet store, but hopefully it will be sometime this week.
i do have a carbon filter underwater that i use to create some small currents for the fishes.

thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi,
Having just a carbon filter can cause problems.Carbon really only needs using to remove excess medication after medicating has finished and for the most part carbon is best not used at all.Carbon will remove the good stuff aswell as the bad stuff.It will remove such things like micronutrients and trace elements from the water.It isn't a good media for the bacteria to live on either.This could be causing a lot of water quality problems which could adversely affect your fish.

Has the filter got any sponges in it at all?
Do you have gravel? If so do you vac it regularly?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 3:05 am

yeah i heard about that but there is sponge in it and i ended up replacing the carbon with sponge fully so its basically a sponge filter, i replaced it with sponges about 3 years ago and had no problems with the filter.
yes i have gravel and i vac it at least twice a week since it is a small tank.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:58 am

That's good that you have sponge in your filter and that should be fine then.Keep an eye on the bristlenose and other fish for any signs of illness etc.Is she still not eating?

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 am

all my other fishes seem to be fine but she did eat a little bit of zucchini last night when i put it in so i guess she's slowly recovering. i did think of one possible reason that could have caused her to become like this. cause when i did a water change i cleaned out the filter cause it was filthy and because of that i cleaned it again in 2 days and then again in 3 days, so i think i accidentally kept the filter too clean and may have caused a mini cycle to happen. im not too sure though but i think that is what happened..
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am

Hi,Yes this is quite possibly what caused her to become this way.Do you clean your filter in tank water?

You really should get the water tested and at the very least get some test strips.I don't know if you can get these but a good one to get is King British 6 in 1 strips.These will test everything including ammonia.A lot of brands only test for everything else except for ammonia.If you cant get a 6 in 1 you will need to get a seperate ammonia tester.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 1:29 pm

yes i clean the filter with tank water. we dont have any King British 6 in 1 strips here but i had a look on ebay and they do ship them over to Australia so i think i might have to get one off ebay since the ones they sell in my local pet shop are quite expensive and they aren't the test strips. But i think i might be able to quickly drop by the pet shop tomorrow and buy a test kit if its not too costly, otherwise im going to have to buy the one that u recommended through ebay.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:07 am

just off topic a bit but birstlenose in ponds can be a bit iffy legally. Does your pond have the ability to overflow to a local waterway? if it does then no bristlenose, if it doesnt then go your hardest!
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 am

i live in a suburb and my pond is in my backyard and there are no rivers or other waterways close to where i live, so basically the coast is pretty clear. i do have a few bigger kois in there so im hoping to grow my birstlenose out before putting her in there with them in case they accidentally eat her... happened to a couple of my cory's in the winter by accident since the cory's were too small and when the koi's were grazing the ground and then ate them by accident. i still have some left in the pond but now they have grown large enough to not accidentally get eaten, which is good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm

cool Smile
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:38 am

hey! i thought i'd do a quick little update on how my little BN is going Very Happy
She has been eating like normal lately and seems much happier, she still likes to hide in her cave which she didn't have any interest in before, but i guess that's a good thing.
i still haven't got my test strips yet, which i ordered from ebay, but it should be here soon since it has arrived in Australia and is in the process of being mailed to my house.
Thanks to all the people who helped me!! Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? 3335189316
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi,that is great news and i am so glad that she is o.k.If you need anymore help don't hesitate to ask.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ktk05
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ktk05

Female Number of posts : 381
Job/hobbies : Registered Respiratory Therapist @ hospital
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Glad to hear she is soon well! Smile
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 2:36 pm

RMlover wrote:
i live in a suburb and my pond is in my backyard and there are no rivers or other waterways close to where i live, so basically the coast is pretty clear. i do have a few bigger kois in there so im hoping to grow my birstlenose out before putting her in there with them in case they accidentally eat her... happened to a couple of my cory's in the winter by accident since the cory's were too small and when the koi's were grazing the ground and then ate them by accident. i still have some left in the pond but now they have grown large enough to not accidentally get eaten, which is good Very Happy
Are you able to control the temperature in your pond? One bristlenose won't help you with the algies in the pond, especially that adults don't eat that much algies. Just get the treatment for it.
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Silvashadow
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Silvashadow

Female Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Quest for the unusual plecos!
Humor : Om nom nom?
Thank You Points : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am

Good to hear she's recovering. Smile

As always, if you need any help. just ask!
Back to top Go down
RMlover
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

@kaban, i don't really control the temperature at all in my pond but it is usually on the warmer side and i am pretty sure a BN would be able to survive in it.
So far im just gonna start off with 1 bristlenose in the pond but i will slowly expand the population as the pond is large enough to hold several of them. I don't really want to get algae treatment for the pond as the last time i bought a treatment for murky water, my mum accidentally overdosed it and i lost a lot of fish so i don't really want to buy any more treatments. i don't really mind if there would still be algae in the pond, i just kinda want to get rid of a little.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?   Common bristlenose isn't acting normal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Common bristlenose isn't acting normal?
Page 1 of 1