Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Too many Plecos? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Too many Plecos? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Too many Plecos?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bonginator
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 6
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Too many Plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Too many Plecos?   Too many Plecos? EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:25 am

I currently have 2 mature males large and 1 mature male medium and 3 females (1 large and 2 medium) in my 55 gallon tank. Can they consist and breed in that setup or will I have to sell or move some of them?

I am new to Plecos so am asking a lot of questions. Thanks for being patient with me and helping me learn.

One of my males has settled into a cave and the others have not yet. I have 5 caves in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Too many Plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many Plecos?   Too many Plecos? EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 5:06 am

a good rule of thumb is 1 male and 2 females per 1.5 square feet of tank bottom. with plenty of hiding spots like driftwood and rocks
Back to top Go down
Bonginator
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Too many Plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many Plecos?   Too many Plecos? EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks. My 3 males have claimed caves. That was fast. Do I need to pare down to have successful breeding?
Back to top Go down
kaban
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
kaban

Male Number of posts : 164
Job/hobbies : concractor
Humor : not much to be serious about
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2012-02-11

Too many Plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many Plecos?   Too many Plecos? EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 pm

To have peaceful breeding - I'd say so. Most likely there will be some fighting around spawning to establish who's who. And the alfa male will breed. Probably with all the females. In my tank females lay eggs at the same time. Also, alfa takes the "best" cave. Don't ask me what are the factors of "best" but every male wants this particular cave and takes every opportunity to get there.
Back to top Go down
http://banka.ca
Bonginator
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Too many Plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many Plecos?   Too many Plecos? EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 am

Thanks for the response. My original male has claimed the newts large cave and the new albino male I bought claimed his "favorite" cave provided by the seller. My other long fin male seems to be scoping out a cave and trying the free ones on. So far no real aggressive fighting. Everyone hanging out in their respective caves but my original male seems to spend lots of time guarding his new found cave and not leaving it much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Too many Plecos? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too many Plecos?   Too many Plecos? Empty

Back to top Go down

Too many Plecos?
Page 1 of 1