Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How big do they grow to? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

How big do they grow to? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How big do they grow to?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mum2gnt
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-04-19

How big do they grow to? Empty
PostSubject: How big do they grow to?   How big do they grow to? EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi from Perth, Australia.  Thanks for this wonderful informative site which I am sure I will frequent!!

My boys begged me to buy a tropical tank and I agreed providing I could plant real plants and have "a couple of those cute sucker fish things"!!  Never kept fish before so this was a big thing for us!

We now have 3 foot tank, fully planted with 9 Tetras (was 10 but one committed suicide by jumping out of the tank  Sad ) , 5 guppies, a female Betta, a long snake loach, 2 zebra gold coloured fish, 2 upside down catfish and of course my dream "cute sucker fish things" 2 baby (2-3cm) common Bristlenoses and just bought 1 large albino BN (about 10cm) complete with fabulous bristles and a slightly smaller black one with equally as fab bristles!
EDITED TO ADD: I have a large UV canister filter with Seachem rocks in as well as sponges - sorry for my lack of knowledge but was given this advice from an expert, so I hope I don't have too many fish - they said it would be ok............

The 2 large (new) ones keep digging plants up (tank and plants are 3 months old) and flipping wood over! Messy uncaring teenagers in my opinion  Evil or Very Mad  but cute!

Just went to an amazing fish shop and saw shock horror, a giant BN, probably about 50cm!!!!!!!!!!!!  How big do they grow to? 3621428690 

I am now worried that these gorgeous BN will outgrow the tank very quickly and well, I got quite attached to them!

Can anyone give any indication how big these 4 BN might get?  I am sure they are just common BN. The 2 babies have no bristles yet to know whether M or F (see I read up on this on this site!).  I really hope it won't be too big. I thought the 2 new large BN were adults!

Also the 2 babies are sucking 24/7 and never seem to sleep and very happy but the 2 large ones (got 1 week ago) hide a lot and don't come out much - even for cucumber!!  They are not being bothered by other fish and water levels are good.  Lots of wood (which I also read about from here - thank you!) and the wafers every other day. Not sure they even eat them.  I hope they are just stressed still - well I hope they aren't but I hope they are not sick or unhappy I mean.

Anyway, if someone could give me an indication of how big they might grow in this tank and how quick they might get to that size I would be really grateful  How big do they grow to? 3235774899
Back to top Go down
love L144
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
love L144

Male Number of posts : 99
Job/hobbies : Fish Keeping
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2013-08-20

PostSubject: Re: How big do they grow to?   How big do they grow to? EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 am

Hi &  How big do they grow to? 4168505391 If as you say they are Bristlenose they will only reach between 13 & 16 cm the one you saw at about 50 cm sounds like a common pleco
Back to top Go down
mum2gnt
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 2
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: How big do they grow to?   How big do they grow to? EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Oh that is such a relief! Thanks Love L144
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: How big do they grow to?   How big do they grow to? EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 1:23 am

yep, common pleco vs common bristlenose

Bristlenonse
How big do they grow to? Bristlenose_Catfish_700

Pleco
How big do they grow to? 32103-pleco-3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How big do they grow to?   How big do they grow to? Empty

Back to top Go down

How big do they grow to?
Page 1 of 1