Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Advice needed please! Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Advice needed please! Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Advice needed please!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kezz2871
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 6
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-10-27

Advice needed please! Empty
PostSubject: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 pm

I have had my pair of BNs for only 3 weeks and they have laid eggs already. We have a large rock and the male is in a hole and you can clearly see the eggs and him fanning them. Would appreciate advice what to do as we don't have any kind of spawning tank (our aquarium was only set up 5 months ago). Should we just leave them, will the other fish eat the fry?. (We have albino corys, platys, upside down catfish, tetras, honey gouramis and coolie loaches). Any advice greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 9:42 pm

High to the forum kezz2871, as for your fish dilema firstly I'd just leave dad to do his thing and see if he can get his first spawn off without a hitch.
Secondly your list of tank mates reads OK except for the platys, I have noticed my sword tails will have a look at really small babies scooting past and my inch and half angels will definately chase the smaller babies.
Hope that helps a little.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeh i would have to agree with J,,,just this time let dad and nature do its thing and study what other species attack them and what dont..
dont forget this process should happen every 3-4 weeks so if you loose a few in the process this time then dont worry.....
The key is getting it right the second time and learning from the first...
plus dad will be very agressive towards other species whilst he raises his young so you may be ok ...like i said study the first time... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
kezz2871
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:46 am

I decided to let things develop naturally but am now not sure what is going on! About 3 days ago dad was still in cave but looking in the orange eggs weren't there anymore, then I spied one lone baby plec swimming round the tank! I haven't seen him since but dad has remained in cave and is still fanning but i can see nothing when he occasionally comes out! Its a small opening going back and through the rock but can't see any fry at all. Is it possible he could still think there are eggs or fry when there aren't?! Question
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 9:15 pm

High keez2871, judging by the dates on the posts and the fact you can see 1 little B/N the eggs have hatched- so givin the time line I reckon in about 6 days time you should start seeing more little B/N getting about - they probably are still in the caves if dad is still fanning, just stuck to the roof or some where you can't see them. Have you moved the cave about and had a look in with a torch yet?
cheers J
Back to top Go down
kezz2871
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 10:47 pm

Don't want to try moving the rock as its quite large and heavy and have some coolie loaches in residence under there, will try the torch thought, hopefully the lone little plec found his way back in :!:
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 7:15 pm

Hopefully one of those loache's you have havent been in and ate them...
give it a few days like J said....
It normally takes 2weeks before fry leave's home so still time yet...

goodluck.. Smile
Back to top Go down
kezz2871
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:06 am

Good news, can finally see some little black fry wriggling about in the cave! Just have to wait for them emerge now! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 8:39 am

Sweet , good to hear you've had some success - I hope you have fun catching them when they start cruising around the tank, it shouldn't be to hard if you have been reading the most recent posts.
Unless that coolie loach is foot long you should be OK about munching on the youngins- The coolie is just about the only loach I wouldn't worry about, most others can be a bit mean.
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

cheers great job cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed please!   Advice needed please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice needed please!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bristlenose World :: Bristlenose Main Area :: The Breeding Cave-
Jump to: