Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coupling two tanks with one external filter..

Go down 
+2
Doug
wolverine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. Empty
PostSubject: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 pm

Not been into setting up tanks in a long while and what would you say is the best way to set up two tanks from one external filter..

or would you recommend two tanks and two external filters...

I want to get the water change process easier and get away from using the buckets of water...
I also want to make the cleaning of the substrate easier, but essentially since \i am suffering from arthritis
require help and ideas to make the water change easier...

I have not used external filters and wondered if I could get some tips for transferring over from internal to external.

And make the water change process easier and quicker.....

Regards in advance

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 pm

sorry to hear about your arthritis. I have it in my left wrist after a bad bike crash a few years ago and its not fun!

In terms of connecting two tanks together there are several ways you can go about it but at the end of the day they are all either very dodgie or expenisve. How close are the tanks together? the simplest way is to get one tank higher than the other, then drilling a hole in the top of the tank so that the overflow spills down into the second one. then using the filter to pump the water back to the first one. the second would be to have the pipe-wprk for the tanks spit into two but you would have to be very careful to ensure that the split of water pull/water back into the tanks was even as if not it could end in disaster Sad

The easiest way to do it is to get a sump filter. these are in essence a larger external filter but they are much easier to look after and work with simply because of their size. Normally a sump is made from a spare aquarium fillted with media then a pump to take the water back to the tank/tanks. the water overflows (through a drilled hole) back into the sump so there is no chance of th tanks over flowing. but you need to ensure that if the power fails that the sump can hold enough water to allow all the tanks to drain to their normal levels.

At the end of the day, the simplest sollution would be a canister fitler per tank. a decent canister only needs to be cleaned about once every 3-4 months and is much better than any internal filter Smile

In terms of making the water changes easier. Do what the breeders do. drill a hole in the tank at the desired level and put in a pipe that runs, via a tap, to a drain, out to the garden, into a big bucket. that way all you have to do is open the tap and let it drain to the set level. then get the hose and fill it back up. easy Smile
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: canister filter??   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 1:00 am

Doug,

are the juwel internal filters classed as a canister filter.... co\ I have one of those spare..

the arthritis is in my hands. fingers and feet right now....

I know what you mean by a sump and tank coz we used to use that set up for when we bred koi years back in the garden...

unfortunately drilling the tanks now they are filled is a little difficult lol... though may watch for a couple of pre drilled ones too Smile

also i live in a terraced house so filling them with hose pipe is out of qestion as my tap fittnegs are not compatible with a hose pipe.... also if you fill tropical tanks with the pipe how do you treat the water, since you would normally put the med in the bucket and then fill the bucket with water for pre treatment Smile
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 am

any internal filter is not a canister filter. cansiter fitlers are always outside the tank so that they can have a larger volume of water in them, larger the volume of water, the slower is passes through the filter media giving more time for the bacteria to do their thing Smile

Drilling holes is not that bigger a deal, the guy who owns my local fish shop comes to your house and drills them for about $25AUD, all you have to do is drain the tank down to the desired level so water doesnt go everywhere once the hole is cut.

In terms of using a hose, its possible and easy but you do need to be careful obviously. You add the water treatments directly to the tank while you are filling. and you dont fill it too fast, i have the hose on a trickle when i do it so that the drop in temp is not too sudden or sevear.

I still generally use buckets as it means a bit less mucking around but if i am doing a mass water change on all the tanks i sometimes go and get the hose. Sometimes works well as the cool water triggers a spawn Very Happy
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 8:33 am

wolverine wrote:
Doug,

are the juwel internal filters classed as a canister filter.... co\ I have one of those spare..

the arthritis is in my hands. fingers and feet right now....

I know what you mean by a sump and tank coz we used to use that set up for when we bred koi years back in the garden...

unfortunately drilling the tanks now they are filled is a little difficult lol... though may watch for a couple of pre drilled ones too Smile

also i live in a terraced house so filling them with hose pipe is out of qestion as my tap fittnegs are not compatible with a hose pipe.... also if you fill tropical tanks with the pipe how do you treat the water, since you would normally put the med in the bucket and then fill the bucket with water for pre treatment Smile

sorry to hear that mate i know how you feel i was diagnosed with reumatiod arthritus 4 years ago.
thought my world was going to end. when they put you on the right meds you will be sorted. this took some time to get sorted out for me and i went through hell. but im now back to full health and went back to work after i started on the propper medication.

im running two fry tanks one is drilled and this sits above the other one.
and its running off a aqua pond pump with a spong fitted to it. but i also run spong fillters in the tanks at the same time.
i only did this to give me more water volume. ill get some pics if you want???.
fit fillteration that was on medowbank road drill tanks think they have moved down attercliffe now. it costs about £10 per tank.
you can buy a fitting that goes around any pipe and it cuts a hole into the pipe and as a tap on that you can fit the hose pipe to.
these are for washers so you can get them anyware and fit it yourself no plummer needed.
if you do go down this road you can put the hose pipe srayer onto a fine mist setting and this way the chlorine breaks down.
you dont see shops using aqua safe it would cost a fortune.
or you could fill a drum like i do on the fine mist setting with a pump in the bottom. i leave it 24 hours with airstones running then just pump to were you want it i fitted a lamp switch to the cable put the hose from the pump to the tank turn the switch on fill the tank turn the switch off move to the next tank simple.
Back to top Go down
MarkOrm
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
MarkOrm

Male Number of posts : 153
Job/hobbies : Fish, walking, animals, photography.
Humor : Bill Hicks.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 9:02 am

That an interesting one Doug about using a hose and adding treatments to your water - I'd not come across it before. I might have to give that a try as I struggle a bit with a bad back so humping buckets of water can be a pain.

I vacuum as normal into a bucket (water is great for plant watering) and then I use a small pond pump to get my clean water into the tank from the bucket.
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Man I love this site!! Great questions and great answers!!

I don't have an answer for the fish tanks but I may be able to help you a little with the arthritis.

Applying aloe vera to the affected area 2 or 3 times a day helps with the pain.

A tablespoon af honey with a pinch of cinnamon everyday helps with the pain.

Eating ginger or yucca helps also. Yucca makes yummy "french fries".

Soaking in epsom salts helps with pain and increases circulation.

Drink lots of water. 9 out of 10 people are chronically dehydrated but don't realise it.

Last but not least...I know it sucks with the pain..exercise.

Pain relief is not instantaneous. It will take a little time but you will soon notice it. Also if you are taking medications for the problem please..please consult with your doctor before you try any of these. Some people may have reactions. I have it in my hips and ankles from a real bad car wreck years ago.

For me I do this everyday and although I do hurt sometimes its nothing like I did before and doesn't interfere with my everyday life.

I hope this helps. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 6:28 pm

deano wrote:

and its running off a aqua pond pump with a spong fitted to it. but i also run spong fillters in the tanks at the same time.

Deano, can you post some pictures mate please?
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

PostSubject: kinda like a waterfall principle   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Stannyblade wrote:
deano wrote:

Deano, can you post some pictures mate please?

i remember many years ago doing this type of two tired system in the garden with our koi ponds...

worked lovely jubbely with a massive 60-70 gallon filter / sump....

wonder if there is any one out there with external tropical heated ponds out there .. hehe...

now that is a thought...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coupling two tanks with one external filter..   Coupling two tanks with one external filter.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Coupling two tanks with one external filter..
Page 1 of 1