Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting

Go down 
+4
jim.and
mmccannon
Azedenkae
wobblewobble
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wobblewobble
Small Fry
Small Fry
wobblewobble

Number of posts : 26
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-09-20

Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting Empty
PostSubject: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 pm

I have 4 baby BNs which have been with me since they were 2cm long. They are growing quick...except one but he / she seems fine otherwise.

However the largest two of the four - which is one brown and one albino keep fighting. They are arching their backs and flaring and looks like trying to stab the other one.

I am upgrading to a 240L tank soon...but just wondered whether this was normal behaviour and also if i need to worry about the one that isnt growing at the same rate?

thanks
Back to top Go down
Azedenkae
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 46
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Yeah, they do that once in a while. So long as they're not actually smacking each other and trying to kill each other, it's fine.

As for the one growing slowly, well that might be a worry. But I am not so sure about that.
Back to top Go down
wobblewobble
Small Fry
Small Fry
wobblewobble

Number of posts : 26
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 3:20 pm

when you say smacking...what do you mean?
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Nothing to worry about. It is usual among young adults to fight for dominancy.
This is the way to settle territorial borders and - of course - impress the females.

It was the same with my common BNs (2M/2F in a 84 litre tank), and once territories had been "agreed upon" the water is quiet.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptySun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I agree with the above posts in that it sounds like young males doing what young males do lol!

When you get your larger tank if you put caves at both ends of the tank then two males should be able to have a territory without to many disputes.

Bn's will often grow at different rates, the more dominant can often bully others off food, putting food in a few locations can help the less dominant, females can often grow slower than males or it could be just a weeekling.

Once you have your new tank and it has more space to itself then it should pick up Very Happy

Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 pm

jim.and wrote:

When you get your larger tank if you put caves at both ends of the tank then two males should be able to have a territory without to many disputes.

Unless they both want the same Cave lol!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 12:04 am

indeed, i like to put in several caves then let the males pick on then remove the extras
Back to top Go down
bristlenoseblundell
Small Fry
Small Fry

Male Number of posts : 38
Job/hobbies : keeping Tropical fish, Fishing.
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:12 am

Doug,

does this mean that a male should only have one cave each, as i have quite a few and was wondering if i took some out would this get the male to breed quicker as less to choose from, cos i have several tubes some are about 4cm wide but only one which is about 3cm wide and looks like he has picked this one and fanning like crazy.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:14 am

yeah, one cave is the best. otherwise the males will cave hope around too much and this distracts from breeding.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:22 pm

I have 3 caves in with my trio. Whenever the male releases his fry and starts to wander around his tank, he always goes back to his favourite cave. Don't think iv ever seen him in another cave since he picked a favourite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting   Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting Empty

Back to top Go down

Bristlenose Young (about 2 inchs) fighting
Page 1 of 1