Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
s0078077
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
s0078077

Male Number of posts : 46
Job/hobbies : Editor fishing magazine
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2011-09-12

DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com Empty
PostSubject: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyMon May 14, 2012 12:38 am

What a saga. My old female common, just a few weeks after spawning, got in and layed with my albino male (from my profile pic) yesterday. I would have prefered my large albino female to have done the job as she's super gravid and having no success getting into the breeding log -- the albino male keeps kicking her out. Well, it was cold yesterday and tank dropped to 21 degrees (my heater setting) and I noticed for the first time that my two albino females were paying attention to the longfin male who is in a breeding log at the other end of the tank. Seeing as how he's the sub male I didn't think much of it, but this morning he was on eggs too. I can only assume that the female albino got so sick of not getting in with the dominant male that she took what she could get!

Any idea of what I might get from an albino female and a common longfin male (likely carrying the albino gene)?

First time i've ever had two males on eggs in the same tank.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyMon May 14, 2012 1:41 pm

My guess would be common sf if the lf male doesnt have albino genes(?), or if he does prolly a mix of commons and albino sf unless she has some lf in her.
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyTue May 15, 2012 6:22 am

Congrats on the spawns mate. If the common lf has albino genes then yea you will probably end up with mostly albinos. Sometimes it's hard to guess with bn genetics. Maybe doug will shed some light on the subject.
Back to top Go down
s0078077
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
s0078077

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyTue May 15, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks Kfenk. Do you think there's any chance of getting any longfins?
Back to top Go down
Chaase
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose

Number of posts : 239
Thank You Points : 9
Registration date : 2012-05-03

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:31 am

I would say you are in for a chance there somewhere along the line. You wont see the longfins for a while though (2.5-3cm) if i am right Wink

Good luck & post some pics when you have a chance Wink
Back to top Go down
s0078077
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
s0078077

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyFri May 25, 2012 4:02 am

Well the spawn has hatched. 50/50 albino and common... maybe a few more albino. Still to small to see if there's any longfins though.

As a side question, my poor big female albino is fat as and as been trying to breed with the males for a while now. Is there a danger of her dying from being eggbound? Any solutions?
Back to top Go down
Jeff
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
Jeff

Male Number of posts : 307
Job/hobbies : Semi-retired / Lord of the Rings Online
Humor : dry
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyFri May 25, 2012 1:45 pm

I had a female die from being eggbound ( I removed the male at the wrong time Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Normally there is no chance. If the famale is unable to lay her eggs she will reabosrb them. if she is looking puffy and remains that way after a male is removed then I would suggest she is suffering from bloat and should be medicated as such
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com   DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com Empty

Back to top Go down

DOUBLE SPAWN! LF+ALB & ALB+Com
Page 1 of 1