Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Pool filter sand - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Pool filter sand - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pool filter sand

Go down 
+4
Loach
Alasse
Doug
dragonboy69
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dragonboy69
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
dragonboy69

Male Number of posts : 88
Job/hobbies : Storeman
Humor : Yes
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-05-21

Pool filter sand - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pool filter sand   Pool filter sand - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 9:24 am

Doug wrote:
I went with a layered sand aproach. The bottom layer was propogating sand from bunnings. This comes in a 5kg yellow plastic bag. I spread this to a depth of 4-5 cms across the bottom. Then I sprinkled a fre teaspoons of blood and bone onto that. Some people also add some marble chips at this point but I didnt have on hand and couldn't be bothered going out for a handful of them. I packed that down reasonalbly well and made sure it was nice and flat. I then covered the whole lot with silica sand to a depth of about 5cms. This gives you a very deep bed of substrate. The propogating sand is full of clay and other nutrients so the plants will love it but as it is covered by the silica sand it shouldnt make your tank go cloudy. Also having the 5cm depth on top allows for a bit of gravel cleaning without distubing the bottom layer.
Worked amazingly well.
. So how much of each propergating sand,blood and bone,marble chips would I need for 120cm long x 35cm wide. I've got 20kg inside my tank. I'm assuming I'd need 4 x 5kg bags of propergating sand. Maybe 1kg of blood and bone or is that two much. Again a kilo or marble or is that again two much. Any particular type of marble chips.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Pool filter sand   Pool filter sand - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 am

yeah, 3-4 bags of the propagating sand willo do it. you want that layer to be a good 5cms thick for the roods to really get into.

the blood and bone is only a sprinkle, two tablespoons sprinkled across the entire bottom will do the trick. and only a handful or two of marble chips. they will buffer the water too much otherwise.
Back to top Go down
dragonboy69
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
dragonboy69

Male Number of posts : 88
Job/hobbies : Storeman
Humor : Yes
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2012-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Pool filter sand   Pool filter sand - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Any particulate type of Marble Chips. Do the marble chip or propergating sand have to be cleaned before they go into the tank.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Pool filter sand   Pool filter sand - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 2:23 am

nope, just bung them in. I just used marble chips from bunnings. they are from the gardening section
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pool filter sand   Pool filter sand - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pool filter sand
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2