Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

disease only effecting the females? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

disease only effecting the females? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

disease only effecting the females?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kang Moy
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 21
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2012-02-12

disease only effecting the females? Empty
PostSubject: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 am

Tank size and setup:40gal
Substrate:none
filtration (Internal, external, flow rate, last cleaned and what it was cleaned in):external clean 1 month ago
Inhabitance:there were 5 pleco only 2 now
Feeding system (what, how much, how often):once a day 3 peas each so 15 peas a day
As many levels as you know (pH, Ammonia, nitrate, nitirite, KH, GH, TDS, aanything you can find out, your local fish shop should be able to help with this):ammonia 0, nitrite 0 (only have the testing kit for these), ph is around 7.6 according to the city

My female plecos showed a very bloated belly, and i quarantined them, but they strangely survived, but will not eat. two days after wards my male green bn pleco died and he was eating healthy showed no symptoms, and all my super red dropped dead, strangely at all at the same time, although they lived in different tanks for two weeks now. two super red was sick and i took they out, he had a flat stomach and will not eat. the other super red was healthy eating and stomach looked fine. but when the sick one died the healthy one died as well, coincidence? if not why? how?

is it why did the females have symptoms of bloat, but the males died out of nowhere?
i notices a few white roundworms in my tank, but my research says they are harmless?

these two url below has the same probelm as me, I have encountered this before but why does symptoms only show in females?, is it just egg bound? but my females LF are only 3 inches with their bodies.
it is because i got not substrate?
lastly i have one Albino LF male who always eats and is growing every fast and lived in the same tank as the infect fis

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/t735-what-is-wrong-with-my-longfin

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/t840-unexplained-death

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Female Number of posts : 992
Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.
Thank You Points : 59
Registration date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi,what temp is the water in the tank? Do you only feed peas? Do you regularly wipe the bottom of the tank over really well?

The problem is with having no substrate is that bacteria builds up as a layer of slime or a film on the bottom and this can be dangerous for fish.It is better to have a thin layer of substrate than none at all.If you are only feeding peas this can and probably will cause problems also,bristlenoses are algae eaters primarily and also do well with other vegetable foods.Peas are good to feed but once a week is plenty.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kang Moy
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm

temp is 75, wiped, started feeding peas since i thought it was bloat, will now add substrate.
Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

Job/hobbies : Bristlenoses,photography,animals,nature,drawing and painting,films,books,internet.

PostSubject: Re: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 12:35 am

What was their diet before and what other fish are in the tank ? Have you added any new fish or anything else to the tank lately? Maybe also up the temp a little to 77.

Back to top Go down
Kang Moy
Small Fry
Small Fry

PostSubject: Re: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 11:07 pm

this is a pleco only tank, and before i fed them algae wafers/disk and carrots. only added Indian Almond leafs 2 one foot by 6 inch leaves, this tank has been running for almost 6 months now, with no problems still now.

Back to top Go down
Bristlenoses
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am

How long have the leaves been in the tank and have you checked the ph lately?

You can't go on the ph that comes out of the tap as it will be different in the tank especialy with those leaves in it,it would be a good idea to get it tested.

Bristlenoses Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: disease only effecting the females?   disease only effecting the females? Empty

Back to top Go down

disease only effecting the females?
Page 1 of 1