hey guys, i recently was speaking to a very experienced breeder and she told me about the benefits of aquarium salt in my tanks, tanks are peppermint breeding tanks. (ph7-7.2, 0 nitrite, 10-20ppm nitrate)
so looked it up and decided id give it a go, after adding gradually over a week i now have massive ammonia readings. could not figure out why until reading this on seachems website and now I'm in panic mode.
"The biological filter removes ionized ammonia, and, provided it works efficiently, does so to the extent that free ammonia is virtually undetectable. It is often overlooked that free ammonia is toxic to nitrifying bacteria and that high ammonia concentration is a major cause of difficulty in establishing a biological filter.
Ion exchangers remove ionized ammonia, but only in freshwater. The presence of even low concentrations of salts in freshwater interferes significantly with ammonia removal by ion exchange."
any one had this problem and what should i do…
thanks in advance for any help