Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in? Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in? Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JjGirl
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Female Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Love photography & cats!
Humor : Improving :)
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2014-05-09

Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in? Empty
PostSubject: Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in?   Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in? EmptySun May 18, 2014 4:54 am

As hinted in the heading, I've just got my first pair of BN catfish. One is a marble and the other is brown spotted. They're in a 2x12x18 tank I think it's 2 foot by 12 inch by 18 inch-very tall! The temperature is 24 degrees, pH and everything else perfect. I've got lots of driftwood they can use as a cave and a cave I made out of rocks. The substrate is sand (male loves to dig it up >.<).

Male is around 12-13cm, Female is around 8-9cm and VERY FAT!! They were in different tanks at the aquarium.

I got them yesterday and they still haven't started to eat. I've tried cucumber & a wafer but no luck yet. I did need to do a bit of rearranging around the tank today though because my male appears to prefer rocks over driftwood and tried to make a cave out of one only his head would fit in!

On average, how long does it generally take for them to settle in completely and get busy Wink? They're a little bit better today and have finally realised that each other exists. He's getting more cosy since I put more things in the tank today and rearranged the driftwood to cater for the rock cave (it's pretty cosy but not overdoing it). This is as a hobby because I love the look of these fish! I know it can be a bit of work but what isn't that you love? :)Any help would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait for my first batch of fry!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in?   Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in? EmptyMon May 19, 2014 5:04 am

hey there and welcome to the site.

It can take a while for them to settle in. It depends on many things that we do not know. I would suggest a week or two before they are fully at home, from there it is impossible to tell how long it will be til they breed. I would wait about a month before trying to trigger them to breed. by that stage the winter rains should have well and truly arrived and make timing the trigger a bit easier and help get them started.
Back to top Go down

Breeding BN catfish-how long does it take to settle in?
Page 1 of 1