Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how can i get rid of snails

Go down 
+24
Amber
peppermint23
jim.and
tilkifox
bob67
drewry
Doug
Stannyblade
816johnv
wolverine
mooncat
ltaylor88
trebor69
Darren Balch
Angi-N-Wayne
Jagtazman
rinoh
Spreebok
roggledoggle
deano
Curby
skippy
Kurosaki J
mitch-man
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

Female Number of posts : 81
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-05

how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:24 pm

We have a tank at school, I guess it must be about 50 - 70 litre capacity. All it has in it are one molly and about 100 ramshorn snails, so I was aware of the potential problem. I was happy with my apples, but daughter has latched onto the fact that I'm not sure about this new snail, so it has now become her favourite pet in the house, and she wants a whole new tank set up just to house the thing :roll:

It laid eggs last night but thankfully someone seems to have cleaned them off the glass this morning.

I'll err on the side of caution with the loaches for now, esp as some of my bn babies are still quite small. They all look like females at the moment, so that might be the end of my breeding era. Besides, what with them and the snails and the shrimps there's not much floorspace left, so I wouldn't want anything else living at that level at the moment, it would be too crowded.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 pm

I have loads of Assasins they have been breeding in my tanks for a few months if anyone is wanting any i can do them £1 each
Back to top Go down
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:35 pm

trumpet snails will turn over the substrate but will also just keep breeding. Get the assassins in. you have to get the big trumpet snails out firs but the do a great job. Well for me they do
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: what size do you sell your aquarium snails at...   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:38 pm

816johnv wrote:
I have loads of Assasins they have been breeding in my tanks for a few months if anyone is wanting any i can do them £1 each

JOhn,

what is the average size you sell your snails at right now.....

I got rid of my last lot at about 1inch, though thinking of getting rid of them smaller now as I am getting too many apple snails in my tank.

Must admit I really like apple snails they eat lods of algae and food the other fish leave, and are much easier to control compared to other snails.
Just right now my breeding adults are breeding like crazy...lol...
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:50 pm

I think I will wait until I actually have a problem before I get the killers in, but it's worth bearing in mind for the future. I wonder if there can be a sort of ideal ratio - where you have enough assassins to stop the other snails from taking over, but not enough to wipe them out completely? hmm... Question
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chief poster
Chief poster
wolverine

Male Number of posts : 973
Job/hobbies : Fitness Consultant, K9 Security
Thank You Points : 52
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: assassin snail ratio to aquarium size and set up..   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm

mooncat wrote:
I think I will wait until I actually have a problem before I get the killers in, but it's worth bearing in mind for the future. I wonder if there can be a sort of ideal ratio - where you have enough assassins to stop the other snails from taking over, but not enough to wipe them out completely? hmm... Question

that is a very good question, and one topic I will hasten to watch very closely... Smile
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Hey guys, Assassin are not here in Aus really, there are a few people who have them but they are generally not wanted.

On the other hand, I have been trialing a new product that has works an absolute dream for me. As some of you may know from some of my previous threads, i have a horrible problem with trumpet snails and they are now nearly all dead Very Happy

THe product is call 'No Planeria'and is a product designed to kill off planeria (flat worms) while not harming any of the other inhabitance, including shrimp. I have been using it in my main tank for 3 days and i think 95% of the snails are dead. the treatment program goes for a few more days and i reckopn they will all be dead within the week...WOOHOO!!!!!

Back to top Go down
816johnv
V.I.P Member
816johnv

Male Number of posts : 700
Job/hobbies : Breeding Plecs, Football and most other sports
Thank You Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 10:21 am

wolverine wrote:
816johnv wrote:

JOhn,

what is the average size you sell your snails at right now.....

I got rid of my last lot at about 1inch, though thinking of getting rid of them smaller now as I am getting too many apple snails in my tank.

Must admit I really like apple snails they eat lods of algae and food the other fish leave, and are much easier to control compared to other snails.
Just right now my breeding adults are breeding like crazy...lol...

I sell mine at about 1cm mate
Back to top Go down
drewry
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 19
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2009-11-25

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 1:19 am

u could try eating em Wink
if not john has some nice assain snils Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bob67
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 5
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2011-01-15

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:05 pm

a new product called gastropeck kills snails with no harm to water or fish or plants.
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

Female Number of posts : 300
Humor : Strange!
Thank You Points : 13
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Wow...
been trying to get rid of mine but they are just such a nightmare...
Where did you get your stuff from Bob???
Seems like we are in the same neck of the woods lol!!!
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 6:42 pm

bob67 wrote:
a new product called gastropeck kills snails with no harm to water or fish or plants.

Do you mean the eSHa product HERE , eSha products are usually good but if you have a large snail population you need to be careful if there is a very large snail die-off, the dead snails will rot and pollute the aquarium water. Siphoning your gravel to remove the dead snails buried in it is also advisable (for example, the Malayan live-bearing snail abounds in substrate like gravel).
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Have just bought some from ebay to have a try with...
Will keep you posted lol!!
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Ok...
Just an update... i bought some of the eSHa snail sruff and tried it on 2 of my tanks and it didnt work...
Didnt even reduce their numbers by much...
Think im gonna try something with copper in it next and see how that goes...
Anyone have any suggestions on a good product to try???
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:54 pm

dont use copper!!!!!!!!!!

Copper is the reason why we need to run all our meds at half dose...its really REALLY bad for bristlenose!

Get some of this stuff

http://shrimpdiet.info/index.php?option=com_jportfolio&cat=1&project=10&Itemid=2

Its is designed to kill off flat worms without harming shrimp, but as a side effect it also kills snails very well. I have used it with a huge ammount of success!
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:40 pm

I saw a recommendation for that somewhere too but cant find it anywhere in the uk...
The snails in my tank have got to the ridiculous.
There are so many products on the market only to find they dont work...
Back to top Go down
peppermint23
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
peppermint23

Female Number of posts : 99
Thank You Points : 4
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Doug wrote:
dont use copper!!!!!!!!!!

Copper is the reason why we need to run all our meds at half dose...its really REALLY bad for bristlenose!

Get some of this stuff

http://shrimpdiet.info/index.php?option=com_jportfolio&cat=1&project=10&Itemid=2

Its is designed to kill off flat worms without harming shrimp, but as a side effect it also kills snails very well. I have used it with a huge ammount of success!

yay! finally something i can add to my tank which is gentle for the bn and kills the snails Smile i have ever so slowly been setting up food in a net to scoop them out. very annoying! does this stuff kill trumpet snails? any idea where i can buy some stuff in adelaide?
cheers
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Fish Bowl and Ponds has some in stock...cheeper than on the web too Smile

It is the most effective on trumpet snails!!! cheers cheers :bounce:

the only ones its no so good on is the flatish ones. kills the black pest snail and trumpets so so well!
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Ok am thinking now of trying some assassin snails...
Few questions though...
How many would I need for a 4 ft tank do you think???
Also would they be a problem for my bn's when they lay their eggs??? Would they eat the eggs???
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 8:26 pm

I have read that Assassins will eat fish eggs, but I thought Trumpet snails will eat fish eggs Question I'm sure a few Assassins would not pose the same danger as the Trumpets.

Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 pm

as much as i dont like chemical solutions to tank issues, I think with snails there is call for it. adding snails to kill snails...seems a bit odd to me.
Back to top Go down
tilkifox
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
tilkifox

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 pm

What would you suggest though Doug???
I cant get that no plan.... thing over here and everything else I can find has got copper in it Sad
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:11 pm

I haven't kept any assassins (have no probs YET with my golden apple snails, trumpet snails, spiky/red onion/zebra nerites, and random-incomers-from-the-pet-shop) so can't comment on how many you'd need.

But I have looked into them a little bit in the event that I get overrun one day.

Since you need males and females for them to breed, it should be slower than the hermaphroditic varieties of snail, and I have read that they do reproduce at quite a slow rate. Also not sure what your tank set up is, but could you introduce a fish that likes to eat young snails? There seem to be a few varieties around that might help keep all your snail numbers down.

From what I have read, your eggs could be at risk of being eaten though, unless parent fish can protect them. My male used to knock my apple snails right through the water if they got to close to his cave - it was like snail tennis if he accidentally knocked them too close to one of my other bristles and they batted it back again!
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 pm

oh, re numbers, I just found this ....

In the author’s experience, controlling a runaway Malayan Livebearing Snail (or Malayan Trumpet Snail, Melanoides tuberculata) is to use 4-6 Clea helena per 60 litres (about 15 US gallons) of water. While they won’t exterminate every last one of the Malayan Livebearing Snails, the Clea helena will keep the population of them small enough that they’re no longer troublesome.
Back to top Go down
Amber
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
Amber

Number of posts : 118
Thank You Points : 12
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:56 pm

I have recently added some assassin snails to 2 of my tanks to kill mts snails. I was sifting out the excess mts, but that only worked in the tanks with sand substrate, couldn't do it really with the gravel. The assassins are making a dent in the mts populations as I am seeing empty snail shells on the substrate. Yeah!!!! One of our LFS breeds assassins to take care of any accidental snail introductions to his tanks and says it works well for him. I have not noticed any reduction in BN fry from any assassin snail predation of the eggs. If I do start to have any problems later on I will note it on this forum so you can be forewarned and take steps to remedy it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

how can i get rid of snails
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next