Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how can i get rid of snails

Go down 
+24
Amber
peppermint23
jim.and
tilkifox
bob67
drewry
Doug
Stannyblade
816johnv
wolverine
mooncat
ltaylor88
trebor69
Darren Balch
Angi-N-Wayne
Jagtazman
rinoh
Spreebok
roggledoggle
deano
Curby
skippy
Kurosaki J
mitch-man
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:11 am

mooncat wrote:
My male used to knock my apple snails right through the water if they got to close to his cave - it was like snail tennis if he accidentally knocked them too close to one of my other bristles and they batted it back again!

lol! I would have loved to see that Very Happy

The Assassins would probably be less likely to eat eggs while there is a good supply of Trumpets if that food source became low there may be more risk, but they will feed on flake food and algae wafers so far as I know.
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

Female Number of posts : 81
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Was funny, wish I had filmed it, they got quite a few rounds in before the snail finally got away! Laughing
Back to top Go down
plecoman
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
plecoman

Male Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : Retired Gm / Like raising fish and fishing
Thank You Points : 1
Registration date : 2010-12-24

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 2:40 am

If you decide to us chemicals, I would use Aquarisol. I made the mistake of adding new fish to a populated tank that had snails, which I was trying to get rid of too. My fish developed ich, so I treated them with aquarisol. After several days of treatment the ich was gone and then I noticed later that the snails were gone too! If you do decide to use aquarisol or some other similar chemical, make sure that your tank has extra oxygen during treatment time. Add a large air-stone or two.
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi, I know this post is pretty old now and it's a long time since I posted anything, but just updating on my snail issue incase it's of any help to anyone/any interest.

By this summer I had HUGE numbers of malaysian trumpet snails in my tank, breeding seemingly exponentially. Also fast behind them were red ramshorns and tadpole snails.

In August I put 4 assassin snails in the tank (100 litre), and though I rarely see them - maybe one once a week, if not less, the first thing to diasppear were all the ramshorns. I was a little miffed as it was the MTSs that were my real problem.

3 months later and my MTS levels are low enough not to be a problem (far far better than the "argh, the whole floor of the tank is made up of snails!" scenario!), I saw one tadpole snail today, and that is a rarity, I find the odd ramshorn living in the bottom of the filter, but that's about it.

So assassins have done an amazing job so far, and no chemicals used. To date they haven't touched my apple or nerite snails, and hopefully they'll continue to ignore them. The bloke I bought them from says he keeps them in his breeding tanks of apple and nerites as clean ups and they never touch them.
Back to top Go down
jim.and
V.I.P Member
jim.and

Male Number of posts : 1449
Job/hobbies : Warehouse Op
Thank You Points : 107
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 pm

Congratulations on solving your snail problems.

I have a few Assassins and they do go quitely about their business and all you notice is the empty trumpet shells. Also started to notice a second generation, only two upto now but it's a start.

Latest member of the Assassin crew (front left)

how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 Pic_0120
Back to top Go down
mnicholls
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 74
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 pm

only thing i can say is would a snail trap work no chemicals
Back to top Go down
mooncat
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose
mooncat

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 pm

snap jim.and, I just found my first 2 assassin babies! cheers

sorry, mnicholls, can't answer your question, just celebrating my new arrivals.

Can you not get assassins, or do you not want them? (sorry, I should have scrolled back in the thread before replying to get up to date.)
Back to top Go down
Azedenkae
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:29 pm

BTW, not sure if anyone noted this before, but clown loaches also work as well - they're excellent snail killers. Just... they *might* argue with Bristlenose catfish. Might. But usually they do well enough in a community tank.
Back to top Go down
mmccannon
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
mmccannon

Number of posts : 346
Thank You Points : 17
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 am

Congratulations for the small Anentome helenas! cheers
I love them to bits! As soon as I drop a few snails for them, they speed-up and often 5-6 clings on one poor Aplexa hypnorum. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how can i get rid of snails   how can i get rid of snails - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

how can i get rid of snails
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3