Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..

Go down 
+17
migdem
pat_adelaide
jim.and
Pleco James
Andi
june
-Paul-
Doug
Stannyblade
joshplecs
ltaylor88
Esoxluciouss
bristlenose
Kurosaki J
deano
Bwompus
Curby
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Did you find this guide helpfull???
Yes Very Helpfull
Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Vote_lcap98%Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Vote_rcap
 98% [ 241 ]
No I couldnt Understand it
Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Vote_lcap2%Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Vote_rcap
 2% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 245

Back

AuthorMessage
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Empty
PostSubject: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

Here is a quick and easy guide to breeding/spawning your Ancistrus Pleco....

From the beginning......

Tank setup has to be spot on......
You will need an aquarium no smaller than 60 Litre's for just one pair, the more bristlenose plecs you add the more litre's you will need..

The tank must be well cycled and well established to house your plecs...

Constant PH and water Test's will ensure you have a safe aquarium...

PH level's will need to be between 5.8 and 7.2 i keep mine at 7.0 which works perfect.....

Temperature of the water for a bristlenose plec should be between 23-27 degree's Celcius...

Breeding temperature of my tank is set at 26.5 no higer no lower......

You will need to select the correct cave's for the job which is very important, there are lots on the market that will do the job...

Ie...Slate Caves, home made caves such as plant pots cut in half..small orniments with holes in them...

Cave size is also very important and depends on the size of your bristlenose, to pick the correct cave you first need to know the size of your bristlenose so lets say he is 4 inches long and an inch wide i would then get a cave that measure's 2inch high x 2inch wide x 6inch long..

So that there is just enough space to fit him and another bristlenose his size in there...a nice snug tight fit is what you are looking for...

Bristlenose Selection......

Selecting your bristlenose plec is also important espeicially getting the sex right...

Males are larger than females and have bristles running up his snout/nose and around his lip...

Female's only grow bristle's around their lips and never up the nose/snout and in some cases they grow no bristle's atol which is perfectly normal..

Here is a common male albino ( Note the bristle's).
Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Clyde_23

And here is a common brown Female.( No Bristles atol).
Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Rose_412

So make sure you have one of each to begin with or 1 male and 2 female's.....never 2 males and 1 female....

Males can be fully mature and ready to breed at around the 3 inch mark as does the female......

Another side note to think about is when you select your bristlenose pair make sure they are from UNRELATED PARENTS otherwise you will have problems with the fry due to bad genetics.....

So now you have your tank setup and your bristlenose pair in there what do you do next?????

Sometimes the spawning process can take place by itself without you lifting a finger and other times it takes weeks or even months of water changes and feeding to get this right....

Here's what i do.....

I keep the temperature warmer than normal say 27'C......
I then begin to fatten the female up over a period of 3-5 weeks untill she has a big plump round belly and it turns a reddish/yellowish colour...

During this time you will notice your male has decided to stake a cave out and he may have been in there for a week already..(this is normal)...

I then drop the temperature to 26'C and start doing partial coldwater changes everyday....20% of your tanks water will do fine....

This then simulates a rainy season and due to doing the water change with coldwater it also drops the temperature in the tank...

As bristlenose plecs in the wild are said to spawn like crazy in the rainy season's in the rivers were they are from then why not immatate it!!..

If you are succesfull after a few days of water changes you should notice your female as gone into the males cave with him...
This is were she will lay her eggs for the male to fertilise..this generally takes a few hours but the whole spawning process can take up to 2 days sometimes so a little patience is needed.....

If they have been sucessful you will see the female emerge from the cave with a flat ot sunken stomach, if you have been watching her during the fattning up process then you will see the change instantly....she will then head off to lick her wounds and become very greedy again for another 3-5 weeks or in my case just 3 weeks....

Here is a pic of the female (Gravid) Before Birth..Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Before11

And after she has laid her eggs she will look like this....Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. After_11

This is were the male does his job, the female plays no further part in bringing up the fry or watching the eggs...its all left to the male...
Another sign that they have spawned is when your male is fanning away like mad in his cave either face first into the cave or the other way around he will use all his fins to fan the eggs which provides oxygen for the eggs which is vital...

He should fan away without eating for around 2 weeks, you may see the odd tareaway sneaking out now and again but the majority of the young will remain in his care for around 2 weeks....

This is also when you male can become agressive towards any other tankmate...he will defend that cave for his life and even big fish wont stand a chance when he's fanning......

Now and again males can Kick the eggs out his cave, sometimes because its his first time and he doesnt no what do with them and other times because they are fussy.........

So have yourself a frysaver handy in case this happens, with a spare pump and air-stone and supply the fry saver with its own oxygen supply(O2)..
If any eggs turn white and loose their orange colour then remove the white eggs As soon as poss as they will be in-fertile and could damage your orange fertile eggs...

Once your wrigglers are out and about then feed a diet of Courgette/Zucchini and Algea wafer's...

They will be ready for moving on to another aquarium or selling around the 4 CM mark......

Thats pretty much the whole process.......

Thanks for reading and good luck trying....

CuRbY..............

Last edited by Curby on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks Bro!! I was curious on that one. cheers
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

Male Number of posts : 1072
Job/hobbies : welder fish breeding drinking
Humor : mad as an hatter
Thank You Points : 16
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 6:43 pm

a great post curby Smile
Back to top Go down
Kurosaki J
V.I.P Member
Kurosaki J

Male Number of posts : 1496
Thank You Points : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyWed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Great post Curby , might even help slow down on the repeated same question asking.
Good Job
cheers J
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 am

Kurosaki J wrote:
Great post Curby , might even help slow down on the repeated same question asking.
Good Job
cheers J

Guilty! Embarassed lol!
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 5:35 am

well after looking around i realised we didnt have any simple terms for new members who want to learn....

Hope it comes in usefull... Smile
Back to top Go down
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 11:27 am

Curby wrote:
well after looking around i realised we didnt have any simple terms for new members who want to learn....

Hope it comes in usefull... Smile

Lol..it is!! Crib notes for BNs cheers
Back to top Go down
bristlenose
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 14
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Excellent reading there, I am hoping to breed my bristlenoses this year, that is if I have a pair! one question I'd like to ask is can the female stay in the tank with the male once the eggs have been laid or should she be removed? will he harm her if she stays or is she likely to eat the eggs? sorry for all the questions I am inexperienced when it comes to bristlenoses, siamese fighters is where my experience is at present Laughing
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 10:36 pm

bristlenose wrote:
Excellent reading there, I am hoping to breed my bristlenoses this year, that is if I have a pair! one question I'd like to ask is can the female stay in the tank with the male once the eggs have been laid or should she be removed? will he harm her if she stays or is she likely to eat the eggs? sorry for all the questions I am inexperienced when it comes to bristlenoses, siamese fighters is where my experience is at present Laughing

ask away mate thats why were here,........

do not worry about your female she will get no were near the eggs the male will make sure of that....its perfectly normal to leave the female in there with the eggs and the male as she will not be interestid in his cave for at least another 3-5 weeks,,,so your eggs will be just fine... Nice one
Back to top Go down
bristlenose
Fish Egg
Fish Egg
bristlenose

Female Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 10:00 am

Great! thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Esoxluciouss
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: 100 percent informative   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 4:45 am

Great post, i will be posting to my friends the address of the site...
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 5:19 am

Esoxluciouss wrote:
Great post, i will be posting to my friends the address of the site...

bring them all here the more the merrier... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Esoxluciouss
Small Fry
Small Fry

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-04-14

PostSubject: will do   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 5:21 am

will do smashing site..
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 5:23 am

cheers mate.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

Male Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Glazzier / cacti,fishis,motorbikes,boating
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:02 pm

hi my tank is at a pH of 8-8.5 that's just how my tap water is. i tried peat filtration but the pH plumetted to 6 virtuly overnight. i want to breed them and i want to get it setup up right. i am willing to give them there own tank. also iv read a pH under 7 and the biological filler stops working is this correct.

thanks please advise
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Add some extra bogwood and your PH should lower,,,,,its needs to be around the 7.0 mark....8.5 is quite high for your average BN...

As for the filtration issue wait untill deano replies he's the expert on that sort of stuff.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ltaylor88
Large Bristlenose
Large Bristlenose
ltaylor88

Male Number of posts : 160
Job/hobbies : Glazzier / cacti,fishis,motorbikes,boating
Thank You Points : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:11 pm

what about when i water change wont it bring it straight back up. ps i have a huge great lump of mapaloni wood in there (i think thats what its called)
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptySat May 08, 2010 12:15 pm

have a good read of this post mate...

http://www.bristlenoseworld.com/tank-water-filters-f9/ph-and-how-to-change-it-t168.htm

CuRbY... Cool
Back to top Go down
joshplecs
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 pm

I am hoping you can help me to help my son with his endevers to look after and breed bristlenosed plecs. We have found lots of helpful info but your website looks by far the best . He has a 100 litres tank and i would like to know if he can have two pairs in it , or one male and two females.We have removed all the other tropical fish so they will have the tank to themselves. It is full of bogwood and has a couple of slate caves.
Back to top Go down
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 pm

a trio will be fine in there mate. Once they start they dont seem to stop. Since mine bred for me I have been adicted to them. By far my favourite fish now. They are fascinating to watch especially the young uns.

Good luck
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 am

joshplecs wrote:
I am hoping you can help me to help my son with his endevers to look after and breed bristlenosed plecs. We have found lots of helpful info but your website looks by far the best . He has a 100 litres tank and i would like to know if he can have two pairs in it , or one male and two females.We have removed all the other tropical fish so they will have the tank to themselves. It is full of bogwood and has a couple of slate caves.

hi mate
stick to a pair or a trio for best results in a 100ltr tank. once they start breeding you will soon be over run with them.
and will soon need a rearing tank for all youre fry.
Back to top Go down
joshplecs
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks. Josh will not mind being overun as long as we can find a home for them all lol . How long can you leave the fry in the big tank with their parents ?
Back to top Go down
Stannyblade
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 90
Job/hobbies : the blades
Thank You Points : 2
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 pm

they will be fine in there with the parents although they will grow better split into grow on tanks
Back to top Go down
deano
V.I.P Member
deano

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 1:18 pm

joshplecs wrote:
Thanks. Josh will not mind being overun as long as we can find a home for them all lol . How long can you leave the fry in the big tank with their parents ?

youre local fish store will take them of you.
the fry can stay in the same tank as long as you want them too. if you are going to leave them in the same tank. you will need more fillteration and do regular water changes and just keep an eye on the water parameters.
i would invest in another tank though if you are going to be breeding bristlenoses. when the parents are in tip top condition their going to be breeding about every 3 to 4 weeks. when these breeders are fully mature they will be laying well over 100 eggs at a time.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARND lol! lol!

Back to top Go down
joshplecs
Fish Egg
Fish Egg

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Right ok thankyou! Smile Wat have i let myself in for in lol. Wat is the smallest sized tank that i can put a breeding pair of bristlenoses in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..   Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Breeding The Bristlenose Pleco..
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next