Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

finally they spawned again Button
Bristlenose World
Don't forget to vote for Bristlenose World Smile

finally they spawned again Button
Bristlenose World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

finally they spawned again

Go down 
+3
Bwompus
Curby
sj1681
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

Male Number of posts : 40
Thank You Points : 0
Registration date : 2010-03-08

finally they spawned again Empty
PostSubject: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:02 pm

got up today to find one of my males on a large batch of eggs. fingers crossed i dont lose this lot
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

Male Number of posts : 3597
Job/hobbies : Manager
Humor : Comedian
Thank You Points : 77
Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:03 pm

cheers Nice one well done.. cheers

fingers crossed...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bristlenosecatfishworld.com
Bwompus
V.I.P Member
Bwompus

Male Number of posts : 541
Job/hobbies : ZOMBIES!!, Horror movies, aquariums, fishing, drag racing, 4 wheeling, camping, etc etc
Humor : lots
Thank You Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri May 14, 2010 12:06 pm

☀ ☀ cheers
Back to top Go down
kfenk
V.I.P Member
kfenk

Male Number of posts : 1432
Thank You Points : 79
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri May 14, 2010 2:06 pm

congrats, got my fingers crossed for ya finally they spawned again Fingerscrossed-fingers-crossed-goodluck-smiley-emoticon-000674-large
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

Number of posts : 690
Job/hobbies : Fish are our hobbies
Thank You Points : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri May 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Congrats cheers cheers cheers

Our "strange" pair finally spawned again the other day. They seem to be so uninterested in each other for 6+ months and then spawn. Strange thing also, we always lose all of their offspring Sad

Dunno what "type" they are but they are definitely fully grown at 3" and a strange khaki green colouring. Just can't seem to photograph them properly.

Angi
Back to top Go down
http://worm-cultures.com/
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

Male Number of posts : 3128
Job/hobbies : Aquatic ecologist/genetisist
Humor : yes please :)
Thank You Points : 198
Registration date : 2010-05-08

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptySat May 15, 2010 1:37 am

good work on the spawn. hopefully it all goes smoothly Smile
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptySat May 15, 2010 1:40 am

Congrats...Hope they do well....Best of luck.
Congrats to you too Angi...Hope yours survive for you this time too....
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyMon May 17, 2010 8:27 pm

just a quick update iv lost nearly all the eggs now Mad dunno whats going on with them second batch in about 8 months. iv saved a few and put in a fry saver so see if i can salvage anything frrom them
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyTue May 18, 2010 4:23 am

when you say lost what do you mean? has the male booted them out or have they just turned white...or both?

If thye have gone white then that would mean that they were not fertilised or were, but the zygote (baby fish) has died shortly after fertilisation.

If you want to get them to breed then i would suggest getting another male, from a different source. This will kill two birds with one stone. As if its the male not fertilising the eggs then a new male will be better at it. If its a compatability issue then a new bloodline will sort that out.

also, if they have not bred very offten is can be because the male is slack or not able to boss the female around. In these situations you can often see the female bossing the male into the cave to spawn rather than the other way around as the female wants to loose the eggs. it is a bad move on the part of the female as the male will often do a poor job of caring for them and the end result is usually lots of dead eggs.
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyTue May 18, 2010 7:50 am

thanks doug.

the eggs turned white, i think its the male as all he ever does is stay in his cave never shows interest in the females. the female kicked him out to do the business. guess its time to look for another male only thing is most places round here only sell juvi's so getting a male will be a task. oh well guess il have to go further to look
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyTue May 18, 2010 10:59 am

Sorry you lost the eggs again. It definitely sounds like the male is a dud. Is he old/big enough? Maybe he's "past it". There could be quite a few reasons why he's behaving this way. Maybe if you have the space, try separating them for a while and them reintroducing. Of course, getting another male is also a great way to deal with the problem too.

sj1681 wrote:
thanks doug.

the eggs turned white, i think its the male as all he ever does is stay in his cave never shows interest in the females. the female kicked him out to do the business. guess its time to look for another male only thing is most places round here only sell juvi's so getting a male will be a task. oh well guess il have to go further to look
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyTue May 18, 2010 3:53 pm

he's big enough but not old enough to be past it. i think he's just a gay dud male that has no interest in the females at all
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyTue May 18, 2010 9:16 pm

well a bit of good news checked the eggs tonight and was shocked to find 20 - 30 wrigglers hatching out Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyWed May 19, 2010 8:44 am

Nice one!

Its what i always tell people, even if the male boots the eggs, don't loose faith. they may still hatch!

Good luck with them cheers
Back to top Go down
Angi-N-Wayne
V.I.P Member

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyWed May 19, 2010 9:08 am

That's brill news!! A few wrigglers means he's doing it partially right, obviously he needs more practice lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Mooo
V.I.P Member
Mooo

Female Number of posts : 957
Job/hobbies : Retired
Humor : What?
Thank You Points : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyWed May 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Oh awesome you got some wrigglers Congrats..:bounce:
The male will do better next time hopefully...
Back to top Go down
http://www.livefish.com.au
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 8:42 pm

just a quick update. the ones that survived are doing really well as something managed to open the lid on the fry saver and let them free lol and today i think a pair of juvi's have spawned as the young male had kicked my eldest male out of his cave and some eggs was outside he was fanning but most of them was clear unfortunatly. so see what happens with these ones iv managed to save
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 7:21 pm

i think they've got the barry white bug lol 3rd batch of eggs today in the last month hopefully the male sticks at it and i wont have to move the eggs
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:16 pm

sj1681 wrote:
i think they've got the barry white bug lol 3rd batch of eggs today in the last month hopefully the male sticks at it and i wont have to move the eggs

you will soon be in my sticky situation....to many..... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyWed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm

i think it will take a while to catch you up lol

1st batch i got 15-20 survived
2nd batch got 6

i want to get some albino longfins soon but thinking twice as i got ripped off last time and lfs round here dont get them in
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 12:17 am

with such low survival rates i would be concerned that something was amiss. Most of my breeders have low success the first time but by the second time they are running at nearly 100% success and stay there. Things i would be looking at are first and foremost inbreeding! most likely explanation, inbreed spawns always have low survival rate. apaprt from that i would check that the water conditions are ok and that the male is not being over worked or stressed.

If i was getting spawns of 6 i would be out of business Shocked
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 5:23 pm

hi all, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, iv checked the eggs today to find my other large male has taken over the cave and is fanning the eggs 😕 should i take i take him out or leave him as i would like to get a better survival rate out of this batch if possible?????
Back to top Go down
Doug
Bristlenose King
Bristlenose King
Doug

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 am

interesting behaviour isnt it!

From what i have read there are two possible options here. One is he will canabalise the eggs and try to spawn on his own. The second and more likely is that he is using the eggs as an advertisment. He is passing the eggs off as his own as evidence suggests that female BN prefer to spawn with a male who already has eggs or wriggles as it shows he has what it takes.

I would leave him in there, never know, might get a double spawn Smile
Back to top Go down
Curby
The Boss
The Boss
Curby

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 7:34 am

Its Jelousy mate....let them raise this batch then remove the second male...i had the exact same problem between two male's and eventually the guy who was doing all the hardwork kept on getting kicked out by another male this will happen all the time as the male is jelous of the cave the other has..
My albino male selected a cave in the bog wood, both my females choose him other another brown male...the brown male would then move towards the albino's cave then move away as if to say why is he getting all the attention...then one morning i got up i found the brown male in the albino's cave and the albino was outside it battered and bruised and really stressed trying to get back to his baby's...i felt really bad for the albino as he is a lover not a fighter....sometimes you can have twenty caves in your tank but if a male gets jelous and wants a fully working spawning cave then he will take it...either at a loss of one of your male Bn's or your eggs....

Like i said if this is going on i would remove the jelous guy.....i didnt and i lossed the male brown eventually.... Evil or Very Mad

Believe you me the above does happen if you study your BN's for long enough its easy to see there characters.... cheers
Back to top Go down
sj1681
Juvenile Bristlenose
Juvenile Bristlenose

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 10:38 am

well found the eggs got booted this morning and one of the juvi's was having a feast on them so managed to save about 20 eggs. im just sorting some tanks out as i got some new fish coming next week so will move the 2nd male and the male juvi's thats male out and see what happens then
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: finally they spawned again   finally they spawned again Empty

Back to top Go down

finally they spawned again
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next